About Me

My photo
A constantly curious and melancholic wanderer...

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

New York Day 6 and 7

Our two-day city pass

Day 1 

After the trip we were quiet tired, so we had a bit of a sleep-in the next day.  Then we were ready for some new adventures with a 2 day city pass...



We found Winnie the Poo in Herold's Square



 We went to the Empire State Building and waited in a queue for what we thought was to go up to the observatory on the 86th floor, but that was actually for the New York Skyride...  That was a bit lame and a waste of time, but we did learn some interesting things... Unfortunately we didn't have time to wait in yet another queue to go up to the actual observatory...



When we got out it was snowing again.  Yay :)  






 We met up with some friends who also happened to be in NY and had some of Junior's famous cheesecake together



After that we went on a short tour of Radio City Music Hall and even got to see a bit of the Christmas Spectacular Show.  It looked amazing.


Then we were off to the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) to see some beautiful artwork



I really liked this piece even though I can't remember who painted it.




Wow wow wow! Nothing can express the feeling of seeing a Van Gogh up close and personal.  I could stand there for hours. We got a fridge magnet of Starry Starry Night so that we can look at it everyday :)




I love "The Scream" done by Edvard Munch.  The colours used are really amazing.  We got a fridge magnet of this too :)




This was my favourite of the night also done by Vincent.  I think it's beautifully sad.


I also found this poem Sorrow when reading up about the drawing.


Sorrow

BY EDNA ST. VINCENT MILLAY
Sorrow like a ceaseless rain
      Beats upon my heart.
People twist and scream in pain, —
Dawn will find them still again;
This has neither wax nor wane,
      Neither stop nor start.

People dress and go to town;
      I sit in my chair.
All my thoughts are slow and brown:
Standing up or sitting down
Little matters, or what gown
      Or what shoes I wear.



Back to the Rockefeller Center to buy tickets for the next morning to do Top of the Rock.




I like this photo :)


Then we were on our way to the Metropolitan Museum of Art


Monet - definitely also one of my favourites after Van Gogh.  His work is so so beautiful!




Admiring another Van Gogh up close and personal

We saw lots and lots of beautiful paintings and some I am not so sure about.  One of my favourites of the day was the Andy Warhol Exhibition.  He was crazy I'm sure, but I love his work.  I was memorized in a room called floating pillows.  I would stay there for hours if Jaco didn't eventually pull me away.  We weren't allowed to take photos, but I got this one of the internet.



 This is from an Andy Warhol exhibition in Pittsburgh




Some beautiful scenery in the streets of New York


Day 2

Top of the Rock - panoramic views















Next we were off to Battery Park for a boat trip to see the Statue of Liberty  



Our first view of the statue









So beautiful!



We got really close, but unfortunately we couldn't get off on the island as they were still doing construction work after Hurricane Sandy




Battery Park after we got off from the boat.  I bought a nice fake LV handbag next to the road for cheap :)  I love a good bargain.



Then we were went all the way across town to Harlem for a Sunday Gospel brunch at Sylvia's.  What an amazing place - even if you wait in a queue for more than an hour. (unfortunately we were not the only tourists that knew about it)



The gospel singer doing her thing at Sylvia's. I loooved this music.  Made me realized once again that in my heart I am actually black. Akere :)





Enjoying fried chicken, ribs, corn bread and yams.




Since we were in Harlem we decided to visit the Cathedral of St John the Divine.  What a beautiful and huge cathedral!



Having some quiet time in the Cathedral after a long day.


We had 2 wonderful days exploring the city with our pass. We would have liked to do much more, but seeing that we visited New York in the busiest time of the year, the other tourists made our lives difficult and we couldn't get to everything.  Guess we will just have to go back again one day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment