About Me

My photo
A constantly curious and melancholic wanderer...

Monday, December 5, 2011

In Loving Memory



One of my favorite residents passed away, just before I went on leave for the wedding.  That week was so hectic, that it didn't really sink in.  But I am very close with the family and went to the memorial service for a little while and I was really sad. 

When I came back from leave, they left the funeral card on my desk with a beautiful photo of the Resident on the front, before Parkinson's made his face expressionless and his body stiff and rigid...

Inside was all these messages from his grandchildren of how they remember him.  I though it was worth mentioning...Especially since whenever he could say something after a long struggle...he asked for a beer :)

Our Gramps - Things we remember and will miss...
  • Our Gramps always had a beer in his hand
  • He loved golfing, but not as much as beer
  • My sister and I used to play in the bar area at Nan and Gramps' house and where we had tea parties with Gramps, but whenever we offered him tea, he'd ask for a beer instead...ha ha
  • We loved the white porridge that he made every morning
  • He used to call me big one
  • Gramps brought us tea and biscuits in bed when we stayed over
  • He'd liked salting his food with half a container of salt
  • He would always say to us:  "Come HERE or otherwise I'll give you a hook in the snoot"
  • He loved Harry Potter
  • He taught me that family is always important and that they will be there for you in time of need
  • He taught me that life is better with laughter in it
  • He taught us a poem:
            "Over yonder stons a coo
              If its no there new is must have flew"

We wil always love and miss you Gramps... R.I.P.


And some of the other grandchildren added in a poem:

Grampie, you were just a lad,
So many years ago.
You had your loves and had your dreams,
You watched us come and go.

You watched us make the same mistakes,
That you've made before,
But that just made you hold us tight,
And love us all the more.

We haven't always thought about
The things that you have seen.
To us you've just been "Grampie"
No thought of who you've been.

But we remember now in love,
Your life from start to end,
And we're just glad we knew you,
As Grampie, and as Friend



No comments:

Post a Comment