About Me

My photo
A constantly curious and melancholic wanderer...

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Interesting facts about bumblebees...

Did you know that the word for bumblebee and for heavy are very similar in French.  And if you have to use google translate while trying to figure out what a person wrote on a piece of scrap paper, you might see "bourd"  instead of "lourd"  and therefore have to assume that the care workers in a care home for elderly people are experiencing back pain because of  the bumblebee cargo they have to carry around.

So just for interest I went on to Google (which by the way I am sure is helping our brain cells die a slow death, as no-one needs to think anymore with Google just a swipe of the finger away) to read more about bumblebees.  Probably just because I really love the sound of the word bumblebee, but mostly because I needed a break from French translations.

So here is the real interesting fact: if you Google bumblebee, you don't find any information about bees right away, but rather you can read up all about the fictional characters in the (not so great) movies Transformers.  Fascinating...

Then you first work your way through companies and brands with the name Bumblebee and then you can finally read that bumblebees are in fact bees and that although they are peaceful in nature, they will sting you when they feel cornered or disturbed...

 Further on, I found this song about Bumblebees that is supposed to be played on the ukulele...

I caught a little Baby Bumble Bee
CWon't my mummy be so proud of me
FI caught a little Baby Bumble Bee
C7#11Ouch! It Stung me!

I'm squashing up my Baby Bumble Bee
Won't my mummy be so proud of me
I'm squashing up my Baby Bumble Bee
Yeuch! What a mess!

I'm licking up my Baby Bumble Bee
Won't my mummy be so proud of me
I'm licking up my Baby Bumble Bee
Hmm? Needs salt!

I'm throwing up my Baby Bumble Bee
Won't my mummy be so proud of me
I'm throwing up my Baby Bumble Bee
Ugh! Sick!

I'm mopping up my Baby Bumble Bee
Won't my mummy be so proud of me
I'm mopping up my Baby Bumble Bee
Ooops! Mummy wasn't so proud of me!








What I have learned from this

  • Do not confuse words that sound/looks the same with each other
  • Knowing facts about Transfomers is more important than learning about bees
  • There are some really horrible nursing songs out there


No comments:

Post a Comment