About Me

My photo
A constantly curious and melancholic wanderer...

Thursday, August 17, 2017

a little poem

I wish I could be one of those people who could just blog everyday and read the news everyday and stay up to date and achieve all these small goals that I set up for myself. I try, I really do... but before I know it - Life happened again and it's been 6 months since I wrote anything and I loose touch with the world out there and get caught up in my own (mostly wonderful) mess.

Here are a few things I do get to do everyday...

  • wake up next to my favourite person (even though I'm really not a morning person and he probably does not feel like my favourite person if it depends on my morning groans) 
  • have lots of cuddles and kisses and pretend play and giggles with my 2 year old boy 
  • feel thankful for the good things in my life 
  • listen to the moana soundtrack at least once a day (less thankful about this one) 
  • prepare healthy food for my family (well most days, some days you just feel like cheating I guess) 
  • work  a little on a new project that involves one of my favourite thing in the world - geriatrics 
  • learn a few new words or phrases in French (actually this does not happen every day, but I really do try and keep up with my studies.)  Il'ya un serpent dans ma botte- he he.  
  • take a few photos on my phone of my somewhat boring life and share it on instagram (sadly the camera we bought broke and the part that needs to be replaced is not made anymore - would have been nice if the lady who sold it to me told me that - so that part of my life is on hold) 
  • talk to God about life and how I never achieve all my goals, but how I am so happy He loves me anyway :) 

Things that I am definitely neglecting is writing and reading... I don't know if that will change soon, but every now and then I come across such beautiful writing that it inspires me.  A while back my husband shared with me this poem that was played in the Season Finale of Penny Dreadful (one of those shows he watch that I should apparently avoid, because I am a sensitive soul) and I thought it was so wonderfully melancholic and touching.  Usually I like to translate poems that touch me in my own language, so I will be sharing the original poem and my version in Afrikaans with you.  

Just a quick hallo from the little island of Mauritius... I can't promise that I will write again soon, but I will always continue writing in some way or another.  

Maybe next time I write it will be how I am achieving all my daily goals... but probably not. Nevertheless I will still be me ;) 





 Ode on Intimations of Immortality from 
Recollections of Early Childhood


William Wordsworth, 1770 - 1850
There was a time when meadow, grove, and stream, The earth, and every common sight To me did seem Apparelled in celestial light, The glory and the freshness of a dream. It is not now as it has been of yore; - Turn wheresoe’er I may, By night or day, The things which I have seen I now can see no more.
  The rainbow comes and goes,  And lovely is the rose; The moon doth with delight  Look round her when the heavens are bare Waters on a starry night Are beautiful and fair; The sunshine is a glorious birth;
______________________





Daar was 'n tyd toe veld en sloot en stroom 
- die heelal en elke alledaagse deel - 
vir my kon voorkom soos 'n droom 
omring met 'n heilige glans 
kon dit my gedagtes laat dans 

en elke oomblik van die dag of nag, 
met hierdie droom in my hart 
kon ek alles in 'n oomblik vermag 

nou 

kyk my oë steeds maar sien nie meer nie 
my droom was eens en toe nooit weer nie

tog

die reënboog kom en gaan
die roos bring wel weer troos 
die maan loer hoopvol rond 
al is die hemel kaler as die grond 

water wys die sterreprag 
dit skitter tot die end

en dan word die sonsopkoms 
'n nuutgebore wens 




No comments:

Post a Comment